Myspace - gratis?

Yngve Hauge yngveh at pingvin-it.no
Fre 17. Aug 2007 09:36:36 CEST

Hei,

Jeg har på følelsen at myspace vil ende opp med store problemer etterhvert.
Venner av en fra Ecto mailinglista opplevde hva myspace mener med gratis
tidligere iår - her fortalt av henne (Hun er artist selv også) som en tenkt
avisartikkel:

WHY IS MYSPACE FREE?

Let's face it, nothing in life is free and especially something like the
internet. Corporate giants like MySpace can afford to give away the service
to you because they have sold your records over and over again.

Let me give you an example. Today I logged on for 15 minutes and I
checked the internet downloads for the time I was on MySpace and there
were 1,323 files downloaded to my computer. That is over 1,000 people
who bought access to my records and received it from MySpace in just 15
minutes.

Yesterday I was on the computer 4 times on MySpace and a total of 9,325
files were downloaded, all companies I did not authorize to have access
to my computer and all secretly hidden on my system. I'm certain there
were more but these were the obvious ones. What rights do you have? None!

I have excellent security and Microsoft Internet Explorer has a firewall
and I block all third party cookies and still there were 9,325 companies
monitoring my every movement. So I guess free has a price tag as well.

Often I mention the bizzare tactics of the MySpace music experts and
their lack of interest in being fair or anything except greedy which
defies explanation. Things haven't changed in the past three months so I
just thought I would let you know what a band has to experience if they
are not paying MySpace for some service.

After 3 months in the top 5 in Swing, top 10 in Western Swing and at
least top 50 in Rockabilly we are #23 in Swing, #33 in Western Swing and
unranked in Rockabilly or Country. At one point over 600 of our plays
were "lost" by MySpace, then showed up all at once. Right now we are
missing about 80 plays with no explanation from MySpace.

Many times the email stopped working, the "online" icons vanished, our
logon stopped working, we were not able to respond to emails, and on and
on. Over 30 emails have been sent to MySpace and they have never
responded to any of our questions.

According to MySpace the charts are determined by plays today, the
number of friends, and the number of profile views. We have more friends
than any band in Swing, the highest average of profile views to plays,
and are in the top 3 in profile views daily yet never come close to
where we should be ranked.

Probably the only way to get fair treatment on this free web site would
be to hire MySpace to sell our records, hire MySpace to sell our
merchandise and advertise on MySpace and each action means things aren't
really free at all on MySpace.

The internet is a great tool, but it is also the greatest invasion of
privacy in history. It unlocks doors to international communication but
it also open the doors to every crook and pedophile in the world.

Use it since it is using you.

Nashville Bound